[wplug] rdesktop slowing down xfree86

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at alumni.cmu.edu
Fri Feb 4 03:05:46 EST 2005

On Thursday 03 February 2005 22:01, John Harrold wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I've got a guy here using rdesktop to muck around in excel.
> Periodically (every couple 2-5 minutes) xfree starts sucking up
> resources and slows everything down. The system load gets upto 2-3
> and things like KDEs kpanel becomes unresponsive for 30 seconds to a
> minute. The problem persists on two different computers with very
> different hardware configurations. Both of the machines are running
> Debian/Sarge with the latest and greatest updates applied. Has anyone
> had any similar problems or expirences with or without solutions they
> would care to share?

Unfortunately I have no experience with rdesktop, but I'm quite a heavy
user of VNC to work from Debian to Win9x machines and it's been
completely trouble-free (keyboard layouts issues aside - but I guess
these don't concern your user).

So if worse comes to worse, I'd suggest this alternative.

This may well be a KDE issue - are you invoking rdesktop through krdc?
If not, I'd give that a try.

-A