[wplug] Compiler questions

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Wed Feb 2 14:31:47 EST 2005

Sometime in February Embery, Nathan assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| :) Let me rephrase...
|
| GCC can only optimize to what you tell it. That's why you pass it the march
| flag. So, if someone else has already compiled a piece of software, even
| optimizing it for i686 (which is what I happen to need), what exactly is the
| point is doing it myself? I was just saying that just because something is
| compiled on your machine, doesn't make it automatically faster. GCC is
| smart, but not that smart. I'm not knocking gentoo or freebsd. I used gentoo
| for awhile, and still use freebsd every single day. Just questioning the
| logic of 'I compiled it myself, on this machine, so its better'.

If you are looking to run program A and it uses libs B, C, and D. Then as
long as A-D are compiled for your target arch with all of the optimization
flags turned on, the program has essentially been compiled on your
computer. However if A is compiled for your arch and the optimization stuff
is all turned on, but B-D are not, you might not have the same benefit. By
using a source based distro, you know everything has been compiled for your
hardware. I believe this was how mandrake got started by repackaging redhat
for 586.

At least that is how I understand it.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E