[wplug] 386 vs 586

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at alumni.cmu.edu
Wed Feb 2 11:23:21 EST 2005

On Wednesday 02 February 2005 18:07, Jonathan S Billings wrote:
> Arnaud Loos wrote:
> > Interesting. There is a 686 version of the package available but
> > it's only 40K in size vs. 2.5 MB for the 386 and 586 versions. This
> > just didn't seem right to me. Any ideas?
>
> The 686 package could just contain the mplayer binary, while the
> other packages include the codecs and documentation as well as the
> 386-optimised binary.

That's actually not the case (the mplayer binary is larger than that
anyway):
debian:~# apt-cache search mplayer
mga-vid-source - Kernel driver for the back-end scaler on Matrox cards
(source)
mplayer-doc - Documentation for mplayer
mplayer-fonts - Fonts for mplayer
acidrip - ripping and encoding DVD tool using mplayer and mencoder
kmenc15 - An advanced Qt/KDE MEncoder frontend
libpostproc0 - Mplayer postproc shared libraries
libpostproc-dev - Mplayer postproc devel files
mencoder-586 - MPlayer's Movie Encoder
mencoder-k6 - MPlayer's Movie Encoder
mplayer-386 - The Ultimate Movie Player For Linux
mplayer-586 - The Ultimate Movie Player For Linux
mplayer-686 - transitional dummy package which can be safely removed
mplayer-k6 - The Ultimate Movie Player For Linux
mplayer-k7 - transitional dummy package which can be safely removed
mplayer-nogui - The Ultimate Movie Player For Linux
kplayer - A KDE media player based on MPlayer
mplayer-mozilla - Embedded video player for mozilla

So, mplayer-686 is a pseudo-package that doesn't contain any real
binaries/codecs/conf files. 586 is the way to go for modern Pentium
CPUs.

-A