[wplug] 386 vs 586

Embery, Nathan Nathan.Embery at crowncastle.com
Wed Feb 2 10:32:19 EST 2005

If you have a pentium II or higher you definitely want the 586 packages and
686 if possible. This just means that they compiled the packages with
-march=pentiumpro or higher. This just tells the compiler to assume extra
cpu features are present such as sse and mmx. These are things that mplayer
in particular will be greatly benefited by (multimedia extensions)...

Also, the 0.2 probably means its just a newer package. If there ever *was* a
case where a package needed to be split into to, apt-get would be smart
enough to install both of them for you.

Nate