[wplug] Odd X slowness

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Sat Dec 31 00:08:30 EST 2005

I'm having trouble tracking down a problem on my parent's system
(Mandrake 10.1).  When running under one user's account on the
system, X seems to run much more slowly.  This is most apparent
when running an SDL game like Supertux.  When running Supertux on
a "normal" account, top shows X using about 30% CPU and Supertux
at about 30%.  Under the "slow" account, X uses 98% of CPU and
Supertux less than 1%.

It does not matter which window manager is being used, or whether
X is started from the display manager or from the command line.
Looking at /var/log/Xorg.whatever and the output of xdpyinfo
doesn't show any configuration differences.  The slow user doesn't
have any .xinitrc or .xserverrc in $HOME that might change the X
settings.

It appears that under all users, unix domain sockets (specifically,
/tmp/.X11-unix/X0) are used as the transport.  The machine has a
non-3D accelerated chipset using the savage driver, so it's not a
case of hardware OpenGL being inactive under the slow account.

I've pretty much run out of places on the system to look for what
might be different from one user to the next, so any suggestions
are welcome.  Thanks.