[wplug] Wardriving CNET article

Chris Ott cott at acclamation.com
Fri Dec 23 12:31:23 EST 2005

Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> WinXP automatically associates with non-preferred networks.  Therefore,
> someone at Microsoft should get caned.

Most people at Microsoft should get caned... :-)

> Also, operators of private wireless networks should be held accountable
> for negligent security practices.

Depends on what you mean by "private wireless networks". If you mean,
say, a wireless network run by a company that has sensitive information
- health insurance records, for instance - then, yes, that company
should be held liable for the security of that data.

If you mean someone's home network, there's a lot more gray area.
Setting up decent protection for your wireless can be pretty tough,
especially if you have an older router.

>  Ignorance isn't a plausible excuse
> anywhere in law...

This is a little off-topic, but I can't really agree with that, either.
There are some pretty wacky laws out there and you'd need to be a lawyer
to know them all.

Chris