[wplug] Looking for a good C++ reference book

Tim Lesher tim at lesher.ws
Thu Dec 22 14:37:31 EST 2005

Bill Moran wrote:
> Subject says most of it.
>
> I know my way around OOP pretty well, so I'm not looking for another
> explanation of the principles of OOP (which a lot of C++ books that I've
> seen seem to dedicate a number of chapters to).  I'm lookg for an updated
> reference to the way C++ works: syntax and libraries, with some good advice
> on how to avoid pitfalls and the like.  If I have to accept a number of
> chapters of "Inheritance is a good idea because ..." in order to get a
> book that covers the other aspects, that's fine - I just don't require it.

The obvious answer is Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language",
although that doesn't cover the standard library in great detail. I
haven't found a soup-to-nuts STL book I really like.

If you're beyond that, then I'd strongly recommend diving into the Scott
Meyers books ("Effective C++", "More Effective C++" and "Effective
STL").  Those are the "how to avoid the sharp corners" books, and are
required reading in our shop.

Beyond those, the Herb Sutter books would be next ("Exceptional C++",
"More Exceptional C++", and "Exceptional C++ Style"). Those are more
about developing good "taste" in C++ design and programming; read them
when you've already got the mechanics down cold.

And if you think you know templates, Alexandrescu's "Modern C++ Design"
will take them to the next level.

--
Tim Lesher
tim at lesher.ws