[wplug] RE: only for people with time(about linux)

Burt E Reany breany at csc.com
Thu Dec 22 12:34:59 EST 2005

   More details;

  A.   "kdeinit' fails on boot because it requires 82mb of ram, and I don't
have enough - so I'm at the command prompt, as root..
  B.   The standard "mount -t ntfs -o rw /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1" has always
worked: it lets me "cd" to anywhere on the hard disk filesystem.
              --> "mount -l" shows "/UNIONFS/dev/hda1 on /mnt/hda1 type
ntfs (rw)", so it should be writable.
              --> "df -k /*" shows the ntfs filesystem info, as does "df -k
/mnt/hda1/*".
  C.  doing a "chmod 777" for every level directory up to the target file
gives a "drwxrwxrwx" for that directory after the command.
  D.  doing a chmod 555 for the file to be accessed  gives "-rw-rw-rw-" for
the file.
  E.  doing an "rm /mnt/hda1/WINDOWS/system32/freecell.exe" gives
"Operation not permitted"

   I'm really curious as to what the right-click menu option does to fix
this.

Thanks again - and Happy ( Please insert your preferred term here)!!!

Coot_jg

for such purpose.

                      Rick Reynolds
                      <rick                     To:      General user list <wplug at wplug.org>
                      @rickandviv.net>          cc:
                      Sent by:                  Subject: Re: [wplug] RE: only for people with time(about linux)
                      wplug-bounces+bre
                      any=csc.com

                      12/22/2005 10:35
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      General user list

>>  I'm sorry about this; I've booted a WinXPblows system from the
>> Knoppix CD
>> to work with the NTFS filesystem, but have forgotten the magic words to
>> mount /dev/hda1 (the Windows filesystem) as a not-read-only filesystem.
>> It's been too long, i guess -
>>  May I solicit a tease from the audience on the command to make the hard
>> disk partition writeable?
>>

> If Knoppix supports writing to NTFS, you should be able to 'mount -t
> ntfs -o rw /dev/hda1'

Also, I think Knoppix gives you a right-click menu option on the drive
icon that says something to the effect of "make this read-write".
That's what I usually do.

Thanks,
Rick Reynolds
--
 Win95 is not a virus; a virus does something.