[wplug] RE: only for people with time(about linux)

Duncan Hutty dhutty+wplug at ece.cmu.edu
Thu Dec 22 09:27:48 EST 2005

Bill Moran wrote:
> WARNING!  Make backups first.  Last time I looked, Linux's NTFS support was
> considered dangerous to use in r/w mode.

This is not as painful and risky as it used to be. Indeed, assuming it
hasn't got worse again since I was using this regularly a couple of
years ago, it appeared quite useful and I had never had any problems. I
wasn't using ntfs from linux on a heavy duty basis or on a large scale,
but just for occasional shuting of data from one system to another. But
anecdotally as it were, I never had any problems.

But sure, backups are good if you're doing anything with anything that
would make you cry if you lost it. and file checksums for data mustn't
have any bits twiddled.

--
Duncan Hutty
System Administrator, ECE