[wplug] Fried by static?

Scott F. Kiesling kiesling at pitt.edu
Wed Dec 21 04:47:40 EST 2005

> It sounds like the CMOS was corrupted.  resetting the CMOS might be
> possible, although I am not sure.  The BIOS stores it's values in the
> CMOS, so it's possible that your sound and USB problems might be as
> simple as the BIOS reset their state to turned off.
>
> Of course, if the CMOS was corrupted, then other components might have
> been damaged.  Use memtest86 to test the memory for problems (I keep it
> in my grub.conf, and on a spare Floppy).  Check to see if the USB and
> sound devices actually exist on the PCI bus by running the program
> "lspci" (usually in /sbin).

Thanks I checked lspci and everything is there. That's the
weird thing -- I can't find error messages unless I actually
try to use these. Except that I noticed this morning on
startup during the ALSA startup process I got an error:
"Failed to load necessary drivers." But I can't find
anything in the log.

Resetting CMOS sounds scary. I've had a look at the BIOS
settings and everything seems to be turned on, but I'll try
again.

BTW, it looks like you reset CMOS through jumper switches on
the motherboard.

SFK