[wplug] Fried by static?

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Wed Dec 21 09:20:36 EST 2005

Scott F. Kiesling wrote:

>Machine and distro: IBM T42, Gentoo
>
>Problems:
>BIOS seems to have done some weird resetting:
>	Time was reset after zap
>	Tries to netboot
>No sound -- "can't find /dev/dsp"
>No USB (when trying to mount a USB drive, I get " special
>	device /dev/sda1 does not exist"

It sounds like the CMOS was corrupted.  resetting the CMOS might be
possible, although I am not sure.  The BIOS stores it's values in the
CMOS, so it's possible that your sound and USB problems might be as
simple as the BIOS reset their state to turned off.

Of course, if the CMOS was corrupted, then other components might have
been damaged.  Use memtest86 to test the memory for problems (I keep it
in my grub.conf, and on a spare Floppy).  Check to see if the USB and
sound devices actually exist on the PCI bus by running the program
"lspci" (usually in /sbin).