[wplug] Kyocera KPC650/verizon - with linux

Matthew J. Hughes mhues at verizon.net
Tue Dec 20 12:55:55 EST 2005

I actually know nothing about the card however I was wondering if
anybody else had enough experience flesh out the suggestion I am about
to make. At one point I had imaged a partition of windows by dd
if=/dev/windows_partition of=windows_backup_image. It is also my
understanding that you can pipe it to bzip2 in the same process so the
whole thing is done in memory and shrinking the files size considerably.
Thus I would imagine the reverse is also true that you can jam you Linux
partition into a file, install windows and flash the phone, jam windows
into a file, and then unjam the the original Linux back to where it was.
It has been so long since I did it I don't remember the exact details
but there are howto's out there. I think that it is closely linked to
setting up loopback devices for not having to change cds. Depending on
processor speed you may have to do most of it overnite, I don't recall
how long it actually took and I do tend to run a slower processor on my
breakit boxes.
Caveat: windows does not play nice with others so you may have to
finesse the booting.(thou I think grub will solve that issue)
Caveat: dd is incredible powerful so you better make sure you get it
right, or you could blow out your drive contents.

my 2 cents
-matt