[wplug] We've never given away CDs like this.....way OT...this really has absolutely nothing to do with Linux...OT

Matthew J. Hughes mhues at verizon.net
Mon Dec 19 01:33:27 EST 2005

    I think the point of the blog was that pan handling for a day was an
experience. One he would not wish to repeat. That those who pan handle
become non-entities and are treated as less than human beings. I hope I
never find out, but everything I have read about it indicates that it is
a fate, if not worse than death, pretty damn near it.

    As far as min wage laws go, the price of everything may not increase
because there are no min wage laws in China, Mexico or a majority of the
countries that our goods are being produced in. Furthermore, anybody who
is working for min. wage will spend everything they get and thus
stimulate the economy. (they got it wrong, tinkle-down economics is
backwards. trickle up economics is the way to go.) Increasing the
minimum wage may increase the prices of some items but it will not
increase prices in greater proportion to the increased income. Nobody
works for less than the minimum wage because they like it(tipped jobs
excluded). Jobs that people like tend not to be min wage jobs. Min. wage
jobs, with a few rarities, tend to be the ones that no one wanted.
However employers will let you do it because they will look the other
way when it comes to job exp., criminal history, (the neck tattoo/facial
piercing), (lack of) education, permanency, legal work status, etc. And
employees will take the min wage because of those reasons and little
things like fear of starvation.

    Did you read what you wrote? When have you said to an employer, pay
me less? Can you think of a situation in which being payed less was an
incentive to the employee? (Try to ask for a pay reduction and see if
you even keep your job."He's gone off his nut, we better fire him before
he goes postal") Have you ever had too much money that you didn't know
what to do with it?  I will concede that if the minimum wage were $100
and prices for goods and services stayed as they are, you could have a
point. However the minimum wage is what $5.15/hr? Times 40 hrs($206),
times 52 weeks ($10,712), minus taxes (-$1,244=), divided by 12 months
($789), minus mortgage/rent payment {and that number is derived making
some imho faulty assumptions}(-$335=$454), minus 2% on clothing
(-$15.78=$438.22), minus 7.5% on utilities(-59.18=$379.05), which leaves
you almost $380 a month on which to eat, recreate, and pay your health
expenses. Health expenses are $383 for an ER visit and $60 for a
doctor's office. Oh yeah I made the assumption that you would live
within walking distance to your minimum wage job, grocery store,
clothing store, and recreation. Otherwise you would need to include
transportation. A zone 1 pass for port authority is $70? Though if you
took the bus only on special occasions you could pay less. So as long as
you don't get into any kind of accident at nite or on weekends
<sarcasm>maybe minimum wage isn't so bad. Those "working poor" have
really put one over on us. I guess that could explain why so many people
work for min wage.</sarcasm>

    And as far as your last statement no sane person enters into minimum
wage employment willingly over something more lucrative. There are other
factors that encourage them to enter into it (starvation comes to mind).
Please give me an example where someone would rather take a position
less than minimum wage, excluding tipped positions, charity work, and
deadbeat dads.

    I apologize to anyone who missed the OT in the subject line and read
through that wondering what the heck it had to do with Linux. At this
time I would like to suggest that we make an off topic list for
the phrase "took the bus only on special occasions".

-matt

sources
federal min wage  : http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/wages/minimumwage.htm
tax rate from: http ://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040tt.pdf