[wplug] laptop fan humming?

Dave Tremel djtremel at zbzoom.net
Sat Dec 17 11:30:02 EST 2005

Zach-

If you do a search on eBay for "latitude c600 fan" or "latitude c600
parts," you should find what you are looking for.

Taking the laptop apart is actually easier that you think. The main
issue is removing all of the screws on the bottom of the case. You also
have to remove most of the screws on the rear of the case. There are
several screws on the rear that hold the top bezel on. You are going to
be replacing the fan on the bottom right. You will have to completely
remove the top palm rest/bezel to get at it.

The best option is to do a little exploratory surgery first to see how
the laptop comes apart. This will also help you to figure out how
comfortable you are with taking the laptop apart and putting it back
together. You'll also be able to get a look at the fan to make sure it's
the part you really need to replace. Working on a flat surface and
placing all of your screws on a sheet of paper will give you the best
chance of putting it back together when you're done.

Blowing compressed air into the fan while the computer is off isn't
going to hurt it. That may clean it out enough so that it doesn't make
quite as much noise.

As for turning the fans off, that's a really bad idea. As you have seen,
the CPU temperature is going to spike. At the least, this is going to
cause the CPU to throttle back and the laptop may lockup. At the worst,
the CPU will overheat and the laptop will never work again without
replacing it. You may also have to replace several other parts at that
point.

If you need help, respond back to me off list and I'll try to give you
some guidance.

Thanks,

-Dave