[wplug] mini-itx and CF booting

Christopher DeMarco cmd at alephant.net
Thu Dec 15 16:24:03 EST 2005

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 04:14:59PM -0500, Douglas Green wrote:

> (like www.dashpc.com). A lot of these are using bootable CF cards-
> what's the advantage?? Seems like CF would boot slowly, and they're
> still going to have a HDD in their 'puter, so I'm just wondering why
> people don't just stick their OS on the regular hard drive?

CF is better because...
...it's small
...it's light
...it's got no moving parts (very tolerant of vibration/shock)
...it's low-power
...it's still IDE

CF is NOT good for write-intensive operations.  The typical solution
is to boot off of CF but mount write-heavy filesystems (e.g. /tmp) via
ramdisk.

--
Christopher DeMarco <cmd at alephant.net>
Alephant Systems (http://alephant.net)