[wplug] Semi OT: PHP mysql_connect() not returning resource link.

Russ Schneider russ at sugapablo.com
Wed Dec 14 12:29:13 EST 2005

Semi-Off-Topic, since it MAY be a server config issue:

I have a small test script connecting to a MySQL database.  It seems to
work, unless I try to use the resource link identifier returned by
mysql_connect();

This works and returns all the rows in the table:

<?php
include("../config.php");

$dbi = mysql_connect($dbhost,$dbuname,$dbpass);
mysql_select_db($dbname);

$res = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM temp_stories");

if($dbi)
        echo "PASS<BR>";
else
        echo "FAIL<BR>";

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($res)) {
        echo $row['title']."<br/>";
}
?>

This does NOT work and returns no rows:

<?php
include("../config.php");

$dbi = mysql_connect($dbhost,$dbuname,$dbpass);
mysql_select_db($dbname);

$res = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM temp_stories",$dbi);

if($dbi)
        echo "PASS<BR>";
else
        echo "FAIL<BR>";

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($res)) {
        echo $row['title']."<br/>";
}
?>

As you can see, the only change was including ",$dbi" in the mysql_query()
function.

Both scripts echo "FAIL" from the if($dbi) check, yet I do get the rows I
ask for when not including the resource link in mysql_query().

Any idea what's going on here?  Everything worked fine before a server
upgrade (which I did not do and don't have the details on).

(Yes, I have tried including the resource link in the mysql_select_db()
function, but that too causes failure.)

No errors are echoed to the screen even using "or die(mysql_error())";

--
Russ Schneider (a.k.a. Sugapablo)
http://www.sugapablo.net