[wplug] The Minimum Wage and Musix (unrelated topics)

Bryon Gill bgtrio at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 14 10:02:28 EST 2005

A minimum wage increase could inflate prices, but the gain in wages would be
larger than the rise in prices unless everyone was making the minimum wage.

Your argument that people should be allowed to enter into contracts for $50/hr
jobs ($50/hr?  Sign me up!) hides the fact that there's no bottom end to your
libertarian ideal - why not allow people to sign over their entire lives and
enter into slavery?  If you don't think that's ok, where and how do you draw the
line?  I submit to you that the argument you're making doesn't allow for one,
because it would constitute a "minimum" wage.

Minimum wages exist to protect the powerless, those who would otherwise be
cheated or bullied into working for far less, or those who simply can't find any
other work.  I'm sure if you're being offered $50/hr contract jobs you're not
the sort of person minimum wage laws were designed to protect.

Can we please hop back on topic now?  I have been playing with a
music-production distribution called Musix
(https://www.musix.org.ar/wiki/index.php/Documentation), and it's the best one
I've tried yet.  I've tried PlanetCCRMA, which worked pretty well but I
found the install procedure tedious and I could never get the kernels to play
nice with all my hardware.  I've also tried AGNULA, but I've never been able to
get it to work properly.  It's got a ton of useful software installed, most
notably Hydrogen (a drum machine which has come a *long* way since I first tried
it), Ardour (multitrack recording program) and Time Machine (a big "record
everything" button meant to catch inspiration as it happens).  On the downside,
it didn't recognize my USB Mouse, and also didn't recognize my wireless PCI card
(no big surprize there), but it did bring me to a dialog at startup that
correctly  identified and configured my M-Audio Delta soundcard.

If you are interested in this sort of thing I strongly recommend booting it up (no install
required) and giving it a spin.

Bryon