[wplug] ? MythTV, PVR350 and Install Fest

Eric Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Tue Dec 13 12:12:58 EST 2005

> I'm looking at the WinTV-PVR-350 card.  Any thoughts PRO and CON ??

I've been using it in my mythtv box for about a year now with good
results.  It's in a backend-only machine, so I can't address the
comments about its video-out capabilities.  A 1GHz frontend CPU with a
100 Mbps connection to the backend is fast enough for viewing.

> I'm also confused on which version of Linux is "best" for building a
> MythTV box...

I use Debian, which has (unofficial) mythtv packages that make it
pretty easy to set up.  Two caveats: you need to build the ivtv
(PVR-350) drivers for the kernel yourself, and the unofficial Debian
packager for mythtv has thrown in the towel, so there's currently some
uncertainty about packaging the next upstream version.