[wplug] help! I am relaying mail! (postfix)

Jason McCormick jason at devrandom.org
Mon Dec 12 20:53:25 EST 2005

Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
> I recently sent a letter and it came back with the following:
>
> Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; host relayl.tsr.ru[213.135.64.194] said: 553
> 5.0.0
>     Spam is blocked by spam1map?209.195.172.207 (in reply to MAIL FROM
> command)

You may wish to checky your IP against some of the aggregation sites
that query blacklists for you.  www.dnsstuff.com is the one that comes
quickly to my mind.  Some of the major spam lists will also do pretty
comprehensive checks for open relays on your server.

Also, if you're doing backup MX for people, you should make sure that
you're on the same page as far as possible with what they'll reject -
i.e. greylisting, specific RBLs against headers, etc. If it's feasible,
use relay_recipients to control what addresses you'll accept as a backup
MX for the primary.  That'll cut down on your box trying to bounce
undeliverables you've already accepted.

- Jason