[wplug] Looking for a way to work with disk images

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Dec 8 19:45:41 EST 2005

Michael Skowvron wrote:
> Bill Moran wrote:
>>>You can mount it as a "loopback" device - but that'll put the image
>>>into your filesystem:
>>>
>>>mount -o loop foo.img /mnt/foo
>>

>> Unfortunatly, this won't work for me.  I've got multiple partitions on
>> this image, so I need a way to get fdisk-ish access.
>
> This specific example might not work for you, but the loopback device
> has more capabilities than this. What is it exactly that you need to do?
> You can mount partitions of your image by using the offset= option of
> the loopback device. You can use fdisk on the raw image to print out the
> partition table and find the offsets for the partitions.
>
> The following link was the first hit on Google and it explains the
> procedure in more detail:
>
> http://edseek.com/~jasonb/articles/linux_loopback.html
>
> If you don't want to actually mount the various partitions, then what do
> you need? I don't see why would need block-device style access.

Heh.  I thought I had all the relevent information, but I forgot to
mention something important.  The disk is from a Novell Netware machine,
and I'll need to use netware filesystem drives for Linux to access it.
It doesn't look like I can do this with loopback mounts.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies