[wplug] Looking for a way to work with disk images

Michael Skowvron michaels at penguincentral.org
Thu Dec 8 18:57:53 EST 2005

Bill Moran wrote:
>>You can mount it as a "loopback" device - but that'll put the image
>>into your filesystem:
>>
>>mount -o loop foo.img /mnt/foo
>

> Unfortunatly, this won't work for me.  I've got multiple partitions on
> this image, so I need a way to get fdisk-ish access.

This specific example might not work for you, but the loopback device
has more capabilities than this. What is it exactly that you need to do?
You can mount partitions of your image by using the offset= option of
the loopback device. You can use fdisk on the raw image to print out the
partition table and find the offsets for the partitions.

The following link was the first hit on Google and it explains the
procedure in more detail:

http://edseek.com/~jasonb/articles/linux_loopback.html

If you don't want to actually mount the various partitions, then what do
you need? I don't see why would need block-device style access.

Michael