[wplug] Looking for a way to work with disk images

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Dec 8 15:46:05 EST 2005

If I take a disk image, using dd for example:

dd if=/dev/hd0 of=somefile.img

On FreeBSD, I can then use mdconfig to create a file in /dev and access
this image as if it were a real HDD:

mdconfig -a -t vnode -f somefile.img -u 4
fdisk /dev/md4

(i.e. mdconfig creates /dev/md4, which can be accessed as if it were a
normal hard drive, such as /dev/ad0 or /dev/da0)

I know there's a similar set of tools for doing this kind of thing on
Linux, but my memory fails me as to the exact tools.  Any pointers
would be gratefully welcome.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies