[wplug] USB drives and dev questions

Gentgeen gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Sat Dec 3 12:58:03 EST 2005

Dear List,

Currently, I have a Debian Testing box with 2 USB ports.  One has a
printer, and the other I swap between my media card reader (SanDisk 5 in
1) and my thumbdrive.  Right now, no matter which one I plug in, it
always maps to /dev/sda1

I am wondering if there is a way to get one to map to /dev/sda and the
other to /dev/sdb, no matter when they are plugged in.  I know that
might sound kind of silly to must *nix users, but I am looking to make
things easire for my wife (who also uses the box).  I would like to put
different entries in /etc/fstab for each (and therefore they will have
different icons in the wife's desktop).

I know I can do two entries pointing to the same device in fstab, but
if later I get a USB hub (x-mas is coming :-) ) - I want a more
"consistant" approach.