[wplug] HowTo - Spec out a Linux Server

Rob Knapp myddrin at myddrin.com
Fri Dec 2 13:15:28 EST 2005

Christopher DeMarco wrote:

> [snip]
>

>Another point in favor of software RAID is that Dell (and others?) are
>known for selling RAID cards are actually more like winmodems in that
>they implement RAID logic *in the os* (and are therefore useless in
>Linux).

Egads! That probably explains the issues I had getting RHEL 3 installed
on a Dell machine recently.  They provide a special install disk, but
the directions were unclear on whether you use that before or after
installing the actual OS.

(They went something like:
1) Open Box And Install Cables
2) Install OS
    a) Insert Special "Dell Is Annoying" Disc in CD-ROM Drive
    b)...

I (and my boss) both read that as "Install the OS, then put the special
"Dell Is Annoying" Disc in the CD-ROM....which we discovered was wrong
after arguing with the Anaconda for a few hours.

And to top it off, their magic installer doesn't give you any control
over what is installed... so for example, we had to put an Xserver and
all of GNOME unto it...which will never get used.

I wasn't pleased and neither was my boss.  (It was his first LInux
experience, he's normally a NetBSD guy).