[wplug] HowTo - Spec out a Linux Server

Burt E Reany breany at csc.com
Fri Dec 2 12:42:54 EST 2005

   To handle higher peripheral densities in a speedy manner, ( more signals
and hardware-specific interrupts, common in a multi-CPU server), the
split-backplane is used.

"http://www.machinedesign.com/BDE/Electrical/bdeee10/bdeee10_5.html:

Coot_jg

for such purpose.

                      "Gregsim"
                      <gregsim                  To:      "General user list" <wplug at wplug.org>
                      @telerama.com>            cc:
                      Sent by:                  Subject: Re: [wplug] HowTo - Spec out a Linux Server
                      wplug-bounces+bre
                      any=csc.com

                      12/02/2005 11:22
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      General user list

Ouch!  A $400 premium might be in order to make sure you get the right
machine.  Like I said, Dell always tries to move you into RAID 5, dual
processor, dual power supply, SCSI, split backplane (not even sure what
that is) and pretty soon it is $7K.  If I were confident which machine to
buy, I guess I would prefer to save the $400.