[wplug] Big Easy Launches Free Wireless System

Chester R. Hosey chosey at nauticom.net
Thu Dec 1 12:38:25 EST 2005

Zach wrote:

> Read it may be up to $20 billion just to fix the levies and $100 to $200
> billion for entire recovery/rebuilding effort. That is an awful lot. I'd
> just move the city to higher ground!
>
> Zach

Apologies for the off-topic reply.

You aren't kidding, Zach. The problem is that the Mississippi carries so
much sediment that it tends to fill its basin.

Over the course of history, the end of the river has taken several
different paths throughout the region since it takes a lower path after
filling its current channel. According to Wikipedia, this happens on an
average of about 1000 years.

What this means is that the barriers that now handle the current water
level won't suffice in a few decades, since deposits will cause the
level of the water to rise. If someone wants to build a city next to the
mouth of the Mississippi, they're inviting the constant need to build
larger and larger levies over time. It doesn't take much time, either --
the water level of the Mississippi is already well above ground level in
New Orleans, which has itself only been there for about 300 years.

The choices are: dredge the sediment constantly, or keep building higher
levies. Both cost a lot, and I'd imagine that trying to dredge the river
would anger a lot of environmentalists.

Relocation, as you've suggested, would also cost a lot. However, it
seems reasonable that given the cost of restoring New Orleans to its
2004 condition and keeping the levies up-to-date over the next few
decades would balance a good chunk of those relocation costs.

Chet