[wplug] Former Redhat 9.0 User

Chris Ott cott at acclamation.com
Tue Aug 30 16:39:26 EDT 2005

Bill Moran wrote:
> Ken Rambler said:
>
>>Any suggestions for a good distro to be used for web hosting and a mail
>>server?
>
> If you like the RedHat world, Fedora isn't too bad.
>
> It's pretty bleeding edge compared to RH9, or RHEL, though.  That's why
> it has so many problems.

For what it's worth, I personally haven't had many problems with FC3 or
FC4. I am not, however, using white-box PCs - just brand-name stuff,
like Compaq and Dell. That may make a difference.

We've been using FC3 for a bunch of production boxes here since it first
came out. The only real problem I can remember is the Serial ATA RAID +
GRUB, but that was fixed in FC4.

We just started installing FC4 on new machines about a month ago and
haven't had any problems with it, yet.

> I recommend grabbing FC3 (FC4 is the latest)
> and installing all the patches, that will be pretty stable.  When FC5
> comes out, upgrade to FC4 and apply all patches.  In that manner, you'll
> keep with the most stable version of Fedora.

Of course, that couldn't hurt, either. FC3 has more than enough features
to keep most people happy.

Chris