[wplug] You might be a geek if...

Michael H. Semcheski lists at immuneit.com
Sat Aug 27 20:47:21 EDT 2005

Vance Kochenderfer wrote:
> "...You actually read the readme file that comes with new software."
> <http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05239/560913.stm>

I don't usually consider myself to be a geek.  When I read this column,
it came as quite a shock at how many of the "You might be a geek if..."

There were a bunch which at first glance, "No way do I own three
computer-themed articles of clothing" (well, if you count the free shirt
my ISP gave me for being such a good customer.)

No way have I used 'Qapla' in normal conversation.  Well, except for my
senior year of college.

I never thought about it, but people often do get out of their seats to
let me sit down at their computer.  Thats not necessarily geeky, is it?

But when I got to "You think Office Space is a modern classic" the
charade was up.  They had me at "actually read the readme file."

Speaking of the Post-Gazette, did anyone read the editorial today about
competing DVD standards?  The fact that the PG would write an editorial
about that really surprised me.  Is it that important a topic?  I'm not
saying every editorial has to be about Iraq.  Its just DVD's are totally
discretionary items.  (And then I realized that I own four DVD players.
And am sending email to a Linux mailing list on a Saturday night.  What
do you know, I am a geek.)

Mike