[wplug] Voice Recorders?

Devin Lee Drew dLd at pobox.com
Sat Aug 27 20:47:47 EDT 2005

<quote who="Russ Schneider">

> It's about as big as my index finger.

That's what she said.

Sorry; I couldn't resist. :)

<quote who="Brandon Kuczenski">

> I see this question asked on a number of mailing lists but never answered.
> Could it be that there are simply NO open-source-compatible digital voice
> recorders on the market?  I have't been able to find any.

Here is a one-less-device alternative:

I've been very happy with my Nokia 6620 (Symbian series60) cell phone. The
included voice record utility works fine for one minute memos. It appears
that a product from psiloc[0] will allow you to record audio until you run
out of memory or battery. Google has shown me successful accounts of using
this phone as a bluetooth modem under linux on Cingular's EGPRS network. I
don't have bluetooth on any linux box, but it has been a great experience
all around with a powerbook so far.

To record a lecture on the phone, I guess you'd need a charged battery,
maybe ~1M free memory/minute, an extended recording program, and
permission from the speaker to leave your phone near the podium. Have a
look at this [1] for getting the files to your linux box, and this [2]
looks like it will get you mp3s from the .amr (Adaptive Multi-Rate) files.
I apologize for the fact that I haven't tried these yet --

cheers,

Devin
[0]http://www.psiloc.com/index.html?id=167
[1]http://www.koeniglich.de/p3nfs.html