[wplug] GTK+?

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Aug 26 08:59:45 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 02:56 -0400, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
> I'm trying to compile a niche GTK-based application on my computer,
> running Debian 3.1, and Gnome 2.8ish.  The configure script gives the
> error that it can't find GTK+.  I don't really know exactly what GTK is,
> but I would be surprised if it wasn't on my computer.
>
> How can I test if gtk is installed, and what version it is?  I've tried $
> dpkg-query -l "*gtk*" and variations, but I can't find any GTK+2.0 package
> (installed or no)and there's no manual entry for gtk.  How can I tell what
> version I'm running?

To compile GTK apps you'll need the libgtk development packages.  First
try:

apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev

And if it still complains about GTK, it's probably a version 1.x app, so
you'll need:

apt-get install libgtk1.2-dev

GTK+ is the widget set that GNOME is built on.  If you're running GNOME
2.8 then you've got a newer(ish) version of GTK installed, I believe
that it should be version 2.4 or 2.6.

In any case, your problem is probably that you just don't have the
development libraries installed for GTK, so it doesn't know how to
compile the program.  The above commands should help.

--Patrick