[wplug] cyrus-imapd / postfix / ???

Michael H. Semcheski lists at immuneit.com
Sat Aug 20 11:47:28 EDT 2005

Christopher DeMarco wrote:
>> I find that it's much easier for myself and those providing me with
>> some help to start by describing my problem and letting them
>> review my line of thinking.

> The most-useful benefit of ESR's document (and the approach which it
> prescribes) is that oftentimes simplistic questions are a reflection
> of the questioner's lack of understanding *what he's asking about*.

I'd say that about a third of the mail I write to ask a a question gets
cancelled 75% of the way through.

Defining the context of the problem and verifying assumptions I have
made before sending often leads me to the solution.

I think there are two prevailing bad ways to use mailing lists; "I can
send this question and it magically gets answered" or "I am going to
look like an idiot if I ask".  As long as the question you are asking
does not get asked every week in that forum, and you have done a
reasonable amount of looking on your own, mailing lists are usually a
great resource.

And thats what people hang out on mailing lists for.