[wplug] cyrus-imapd / postfix / ???

Chester R. Hosey Chester.Hosey at gianteagle.com
Fri Aug 19 16:00:32 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 15:39 -0400, ian wrote:

> I realize that when I leave the world of the counselor and enter the
> world of the "hacker" the rules change...
>
> Thank you for sending me the link to "How To Ask Questions The Smart
> Way" - As a new user of mailing lists, I will do my best to comply
> with these suggestions. As a side note, this is why I have avoided
> mailing lists all these years... I can't understand the "I want to
> help but I want to be a dick about it" attitude...
>
> It's like the automobile driver who waves you forward out of turn
> while screaming and spitting, "JUST GO ASSHOLE! I'M TRYING TO BE
> NICE!!"

Nah, don't take it that way. I think ESR (the author) is a bit high on
himself (and the "hacker community"). However, I do agree with his
explanation regarding what motivates people to try to help others on
lists such as this one. It's often interesting!

It's certainly not that I'd expect anyone to follow any sort of "pre-
post checklist" prior to communicating in a forum such as this one. I
think I've made it clear, though, that I prefer to help fix problems,
and not symptoms. If I feel like I've given you an answer which only
serves to hide the problem, well, then I've done a poor job of helping!

>From my own experience, there have been times when I've asked others for
technical help (not necessarily computing) which have started with "How
can I do X?" Such a line of questioning has sometimes lead me up the
wrong path -- I may learn to do X, but X may not solve my problems!

I find that it's much easier for myself and those providing me with some
help to start by describing my problem and letting them review my line
of thinking.

And as far as your "offer to help" being unconditional, I can only
assume that as you claim to be a professional the position must come
with a paycheck. If you're paying me for help, I'll do all of the
extrapolation necessary to make you happy. If you're looking for free
help, well, it does make a good impression to show some courtesy towards
others by giving as much information as possible to make it easier for
them to assist you.

Chet