[wplug] cyrus-imapd / postfix / ???

Chester R. Hosey Chester.Hosey at gianteagle.com
Fri Aug 19 09:58:52 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 09:35 -0400, ian wrote:

> Thanks for replying.
>
> I was just testing the water to see if cyrus / postfix / sendmail (the
> list got longer...) was an appropriate topic for this mailing list. I
> am still learning mailing list etiquette so please bear with me if I
> act a fool.
>
> As I seem to have received the green light, I will proceed - (thank
> you).
>
> Here is the current situation. I hope this question can be answered
> without going into the details of the entire email server crash
> saga...
>
> Life is peachy save for the fact that every 20 minutes, I receive this
> email from Cron Daemon:
>
> Subject: Cron <smmsp at debianserver> test -
> x /usr/share/sendmail/sendmail && /usr/share/sendmail/sendmail cron-
> msp
> From: Cron Daemon <root at zybro.com>
> To: root at zybro.com
>
> /usr/share/sendmail/sendmail: line 820: /usr/sbin/sendmail-msp: No such file or directory
>
> ---
>
> So, here now, finally, is my question, simply put:
>
>  - What the hell is Cron Daemon and why is it sending me this message
> every 20 minutes?
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> Peace

'cron' is a 'daemon' (service, process, something that runs "in the
background" or non-interactively) that periodically does stuff.

What stuff it does, and how often, is up to the user. It generally calls
programs to rotate log files, make sure mail is being delivered, update
the "locate" database, etc.

It's sending you the message every 20 minutes because that's what it's
configured to do.

If you're looking for a more detailed answer, you'll need to ask a more
detailed question. It's like wrecking your car and then asking someone
how to fix your headlight -- the headlight is a start, but maybe you
need to step back and worry about the fact that the headlight mounting
bracket has been shoved through the radiator.

I think the sort of question you're looking to ask is something like:

Hello!

My [sendmail|Exchange|qmail] mail server running on [Debian testing|RHEL
3|WFW 3.11] [never worked|used to work|seems to work now], but after
[some event you describe to give us a clue as to what might have
happened] it [started|stopped] doing [probably something bad, or you
wouldn't be looking for help].

[I tried to fix it by doing ... and this is what happened....|I didn't
know where to start, but after searching the web and looking at things
for a bit if I had to guess I'd probably start with ...]

I'm not sure [...], and I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how I might
go about fixing it.