[wplug] mildly OT: RHN & Solaris

Chester R. Hosey Chester.Hosey at gianteagle.com
Fri Aug 19 09:51:36 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 09:30 -0400, Vanco, Don wrote:
> Looks like Red Hat RHN Satellite is going to offer Solaris monitoring /
> management as well:
> http://www.redhat.com/magazine/010aug05/features/rhn_new/
>
> 	Interesting.  Adds a slight bit of justification to the $13.5k
> price tag for those with mixed environs.  Other interesting links at the
> bottom of this page...
>
> Don

I cannot even begin to imagine why they wouldn't use NRPE (Nagios Remote
Plug-in Executor) and Nagios plugins for monitoring remote hosts.
Initially I thought that it was because then everyone would just switch
to Nagios anyways, but many companies would still pay Red Hat for the
support.

It would be a win for Red Hat. Since NRPE runs in many environments, it
would bring their monitoring to AIX, HPUX, and other UNIX systems.

It would be a win for users. Red Hat might improve the Nagios plugins or
NRPE in the process, and those not looking for support would still
benefit from the cleanups.

I also wonder what happens when RHN itself is down. I wouldn't trust
something with 10% of RHN's downtime with important monitoring, although
for small business who don't want to [pay someone to] install Nagios it
might make some sense.

Chet