[wplug] Firefox: fails to find foreign fonts?

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Tue Aug 16 18:09:54 EDT 2005

I'm using Firefox (1.0.6) on a Debian system with Gnome 2.6.1.  Often when
I visit webpages with foreign fonts (or possibly unicode?) I get little
boxes with numbers in them, instead of being able to see the actual fonts.
The simplest reproducible example is at news.google.com, at the bottom of
the page where it has links to "International versions of Google News" I
get box[4E/2D], box[56/FD], box[72/48] in front of "(China)"; and similar
for Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, and Taiwan.  I do not know if I have
appropriate fonts installed.

How do I add aditional font support?  is this a Firefox issue, a Gnome
issue, a Debian issue, or other?

Thanks in advance,
Brandon