[wplug] I'm a Linux whimp (need kernel help)

Christopher DeMarco cmd at alephant.net
Tue Aug 16 15:24:01 EDT 2005

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 03:06:43PM -0400, Poyner, Brandon wrote:

> kludge if you have anything non-standard.  It's kind of funny
> because last time I read the EULA it seemed to be on an honor system
> more than anything else.  That is, it seemed very unlikely the BSA
> would be knocking down your door to audit your RHEL licensing.

Which brings up a project I've been meaning to investigate - can I run
an up2date server of my own?  If I have a bunch of (unlicensed -
copyright-compliant (i.e. Shadowman) redist of RHEL only carries the
penalty of non-connection to RHN) RHEL boxen, and I suck SRPMS from
ftp.redhat.com/.../updates, can I publish those to my internal up2date
clients?

> That looks really nice.  The only thing obviously missing from the
> feature list is GFS.  I can't tell how mature it is though and how
> likely it is to stick around.

If you've got no vendor support anyway, there's no reason not to just
build the GFS SRPMS if you need 'em...

> of the unstable desktop environment.  Forget that 8.0 was rock solid as
> a run level 3 server.

Er... are you forgetting about the lock-and-hang problems with
rpm-4.0?  IIRC there were still unresolved issues in 4.0.1 whose fixes
were never backported to RH8...

--
Christopher DeMarco <cmd at alephant.net>
Alephant Systems (http://alephant.net)