[wplug] I'm a Linux whimp (need kernel help)

Chester R. Hosey Chester.Hosey at gianteagle.com
Tue Aug 16 14:54:54 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 14:37 -0400, Robert E. Coutch wrote:
> Actually - I tried 3 different things.
>
> 1 - Obtain CVS for savage DRI  - would not build.
>
> 2 - Install SuSE RPM for DRM modules and build them. - Kernel built without
> the modules.
>
> 3 - Downloaded snaphots (tarballs containing DRI common source and savage
> modules) from the DRI project and let the install script included do all the
> work. - SUCCESS
>

> I'm just trying to figure out why step 2 failed because I thought that since
> SuSE made the RPM, it would integrate easily into my existing kernel.
> It seems I was mistaken.

Ah... so as I see it, you're satisfied that it's now working, but trying
to figure out why it failed?

I'd imagine that the SuSE RPM failed because you probably need to
reconfigure the kernel to include the module, and then rebuild the
kernel using whatever method SuSE recommends.

The CVS may not have built for various reasons. Specific output would
probably help that.

As far as the snapshots working, that's definitely good.

I'm definitely annoyed by the lack of vendor support for OSS drivers.
Matrox used to release specs for their cards, but even they have gone
the way of the NDA. I bought Matrox simply because they supported the
community with specifications -- now they offer me nothing.

Sigh.

Chet