[wplug] I'm a Linux whimp (need kernel help)

Poyner, Brandon bpoyner at ccac.edu
Mon Aug 15 15:25:31 EDT 2005

> > [...] so I won't even engage on disk usage as bloat as its pointless
> > to argue with those that long for the days of the 300GB
> install [...]
>                                                        ^^
> Ahh, it seems like only yesterday ... :-)

Those were the days, weren't they?

But seriously, IDE disk is cheap and tape isn't.  Yes, you can get a 160
Gig IDE drive for ~$50 and the cost for SDLT 320 media is about the
same.  Then you consider you need way more SDLT tapes than drives
because you need backups of not only today but going back many weeks and
possibly months, including archival tapes.  Not to mention the cost of
the SDLT drive and the library.  Oh, and the SDLT media and drive will
break more often than a hard drive so get ready for additional costs.
Backup considerations aren't to be taken lightly when you're in a 24x7
environment.  No, it's not as expensive as a mid-range system, but it
can easily be more expensive than a PC server.

Brandon Poyner
Network Engineer III
CCAC - College Office
412-237-3086