[wplug] I'm a Linux whimp (need kernel help)

Poyner, Brandon bpoyner at ccac.edu
Mon Aug 15 14:42:28 EDT 2005

> 	OK - since when is rhnsd a requirement of running RHEL? (HINT:
> it's not)  There are many ways to update from and/or utilize RHN that
> don't require the daemon.

I'd appreciate some information in that regard.  I didn't get the RHEL
book with our purchase and was unable to find a way to get the binary
packages without using up2date.  I can see where they provide the SRPMs
via public FTP, but I'd rather not have to put a full -devel install on
my servers and rpmbuild all the time.  I often create chroot
environments (entirely from RPMs, mind you) and that really breaks the
rhnsd model.  I have a work-around with up2date but I'd love to know how
to fetch the binary packages in another manner.

> 	Again, no direct implications meant.  At least part of this
> (kernel config & bloat) is based in philosophy anyway, so
> there's really
> no right or wrong....

Part philosophy, part reality.  The reality is I don't install many
packages because 1) I won't use them 2) It's a waste of disk space 3) I
don't want to back them up and 3) I certainly don't want to waste time
restoring useless files from tape in an emergency.  So the philosphy is
if I'll avoid installing packages for those reasons, why should I be
happy with unnecessary bloat?  I'll agree there's no given right or
wrong, everybody's needs are different (somebody, somewhere has used
'true --help', right?).  I do what I can to mitigate what I see as
problems.  That's just me.  You should see my kickstarts ;)

I give serious consideration to any distro that is tailored for being a
server and comes with the level of support as RHEL.  The problem with
many distros is that they try to be everything to everyone.  RHEL AS is
still guilty of this in my opinion, it can work equally as well as a
server or workstation.  Considering there is a RHEL WS this seems
pointless to me.

> 	And if you care to look at my posts strictly on this forum, the
> only time I come out of the woodwork is when folks start to misquote
> about RH or we hit the 80th OT message on "Pittsburgh DSL".
> 	Why does everyone take my emails as hostile?  It's no wonder I
> never post here anymore......

Email is a rough medium, I could tell you weren't being hostile.
Opinions in e-mail can come off as hostile.  I appreciate your input.

Brandon Poyner
Network Engineer III
CCAC - College Office
412-237-3086