[wplug] I'm a Linux whimp (need kernel help)

Chester R. Hosey Chester.Hosey at gianteagle.com
Mon Aug 15 13:17:40 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 12:31 -0400, Poyner, Brandon wrote:
> > Just for kicks...
> >
> > Being GNU it supports --help, behaves pedantically correct if you set
> > POSIXLY_CORRECT, and supports internationalization. The preprocessed
> > version looks cleaner, and I'm pretty sure the
> > internationalization part
> > makes me want to cry a little.
>
> Ok, that was funny.  I wonder how badly they slaughtered /bin/true.
> It's probably enough to make a BSD engineer cry.

It's a bit slimmer, 71 lines as compared to 96 for 'yes'. It doesn't
even use getopt, although that STREQ bothers me.

I keep trying to devise a justification for this file, but I just can't.
Anyone who's seen BSD source, avert your eyes:

/* Exit with a status code indicating success.
   Copyright (C) 1999-2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

   the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
   any later version.

Foundation,
   Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.  */

#include <config.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include "system.h"

#define PROGRAM_NAME "true"
#define AUTHORS "Jim Meyering"

/* The name this program was run with. */
char *program_name;

void
usage (int status)
{
  printf (_("\
Usage: %s [ignored command line arguments]\n\
  or:  %s OPTION\n\
Exit with a status code indicating success.\n\
\n\
These option names may not be abbreviated.\n\
\n\
"),
          program_name, program_name);
      fputs (HELP_OPTION_DESCRIPTION, stdout);
      fputs (VERSION_OPTION_DESCRIPTION, stdout);
  printf (_("\nReport bugs to <%s>.\n"), PACKAGE_BUGREPORT);
  exit (status);
}

int
main (int argc, char **argv)
{
  initialize_main (&argc, &argv);
  program_name = argv[0];
  setlocale (LC_ALL, "");
  bindtextdomain (PACKAGE, LOCALEDIR);
  textdomain (PACKAGE);

  atexit (close_stdout);

  /* Recognize --help or --version only if it's the only command-line
     argument and if POSIXLY_CORRECT is not set.  */
  if (argc == 2 && getenv ("POSIXLY_CORRECT") == NULL)
    {
      if (STREQ (argv[1], "--help"))
        usage (EXIT_SUCCESS);

      if (STREQ (argv[1], "--version"))
        version_etc (stdout, PROGRAM_NAME, GNU_PACKAGE, VERSION,
AUTHORS,
                     (char *) NULL);
    }

  exit (EXIT_SUCCESS);