[wplug] I'm a Linux whimp (need kernel help)

Poyner, Brandon bpoyner at ccac.edu
Mon Aug 15 12:58:48 EDT 2005

> Your rant implies that the distros are themselves bloating
> (e.g. compiling with -DKITCHEN_SINK -D20MB_PIXMAPS); I would re-phrase
> to the effect that *apps* are bloating (c.f. GNOME, KDE); the data you
> cite, however, suggest that *glibc* is bloating.
>
> So where's the added 4728.00 KB (!!) coming from in this example?

I'll acknowledge that the libraries are bloating and driving up file
sizes.  There's also quite a bit of unnecessary feature creep going on.
I mean, come on, /usr/bin/yes --help?  They even admit that's not POSIX
compliant right in the source code and it grows the binary unnecessarily
as all the help you need is in the man page.  Embedded developers with
limited storage are probably crankier about that than I am.  But my rant
is not all about /usr/bin/yes, that was just an example, the problem is
true across all of userland.  Oh well, just making a point really.  I'll
let it go now.

Brandon Poyner
Network Engineer III
CCAC - College Office