[wplug] I'm a Linux whimp (need kernel help)

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Mon Aug 15 11:02:15 EDT 2005

	Not as much Red Hat as the ISVs (although arguably no one tests
an Enterprise-designed kernel like RH).  Case in point, Oracle checks
for kernel checksum when requesting support in some cases.
	If you can't grasp the logic behind this type of mandated
package use there's likely little point in you running RHEL.

> I agree with your comments regarding
>Red Hat bloatware -- rhnsd takes a whopping 6 megabytes of RAM and as
>far as I can tell all it does it periodically execute rhn_check (heaven
>forbid it include some form of useful failure logging).
	If this is true there is something decidedly wrong with your
box.  On a functional system it's barely a blip on the radar.  Once
again, if you can't understand / appreciate what the RHN daemon is all
aboot you likely don't need to be running RHEL.  Also note - it's not a
required package - just pull it.

Don