[wplug] I'm a Linux whimp (need kernel help)

Robert E. Coutch robert.coutch at verizon.net
Sun Aug 14 13:55:06 EDT 2005

The tips below seemed to work and I was able to do a make modules.

Here's the problems I ran into.

The modules I need made are in a directory called  /usr/src/kernel-modules
There's nothing in that directory tree for Make to work.
There are source and header files in there.

I tried copying savage.c, savage.h and all other savage.* files
into /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/drm and retried make modules.
All modules were built except for the savage ones.

I re-attempted running the install script from the dri project.
Again it barked about no kernel config found.

I googled and found these steps:
cd /usr/src/linux
zcat /proc/config.gz > .config
make oldconfig

Now the install script runs much further along until it states:
Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-2.6.11.4-21.8/Module.symvers is missing

This file is not under /usr/src/linux either.

On a whim,
I copied the savage* files (.c and .h) over
to /usr/src/linux-2.6.11.4-21.8/drivers/char/drm
and did a make modules from the /usr/src/linux-2.4.11.4-21.8 directory.
I saw it compile every module in the drm directory EXCEPT the ones I added in.
Obviously I'm missing something.

Then I do an ls and see that Module.symvers is now there.

I re-run the install script from the dri people.
Poof - it finally works.

I still have no idea what happened and why inserting the .c and .h code from
SuSE into the source tree did nothing.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Bob