[wplug] debian kernel packages and modules

Kevin Squire gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Sun Aug 14 10:12:54 EDT 2005

Or just do an apt-get install <KERNEL>  ;-)

What Box says is 100% correct and a great way to check what is new in
the new kernel.  But to be honest, I never went through that.  I
installed a new kernel, then rebooted, and took notes on anything that
did not work like expected (though really rare -- when I went from 2.4
to 2.6 the only thing that did not work was my keyboard multimedia keys.
 and the sound accually worked better)

>> What is the relationship between kernel packages and module packages?

The kernel package already contains a large # of all the modules.  When
you apt-get install <KERNEL> you will also get /lib/modules/<KERNEL>.
The packages listed as modules are realy extra, things that only some
people might want/need. (Like PCMCIA for example)

>> there will be other pieces of the system I will need to update...
>> but I won't know which pieces because there are no dependencies.

In my experience, if Debian does not list any dependencies, then
there REALLY is none. (This goes for kernel and other packages as well)
Now like I said, there was some corrections I needed to make when I
went to 2.6, but it was minor.