[wplug] [OT] ooh ooh ...

squeegy-wplug at squeegy.org squeegy-wplug at squeegy.org
Sat Aug 13 23:30:03 EDT 2005

> Think of television as a means to sell attention to advertisers, and
> you'll understand much better why they really honestly "aren't in favor
> of TV that's actually good". The customers most likely to respond to
> advertising and the customers most likely to watch good television are
> in generally disjoint sets.
>
> I actually hate television since this realization, since it really helps
> to explain why the established franchises are crap and the good shows
> don't last. Add in the fact that sit-coms which at one time were
> somewhat ironic reflections of society (Married... With Children and All
> in the Family spring to mind) would now be condemned as being too racy
> for prime-time viewing, and it makes total sense that modern shows are
> superficial and bland.
>
> Comments?
>
> Chet

I feel the same, so much so that a few years back I turned off cable and gave away my TV.  My household has been TV free for years.  I have never seen a realityshow.  Don't really care to either.  What do we do?  Read, make and enjoy live music, go to plays, talk, play baseball.  you know the things our grand parents did before they invented TV and everyone started watching instead of doing.