[wplug] [OT] ooh ooh ...

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Aug 12 09:12:34 EDT 2005

Brandon Kuczenski <brandon at 301south.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Bill Moran wrote:
>
> > Firefly is the Star Trek of recent history.  It ran for one season.  It was
> > the best show on telivision during that time, but the WB canceled for some
> > unexplanable reason
>
> Careful.... I'm a recovering Trekkie and in my modern opinion, likening
> something to Star Trek is not a compliment.  Sure, it was fine when I was
> 12, but there are only so many modified tachyon pulses and gullible but
> earnest planetary leaders and "can't trust the computer - let me take 'er
> in manually .. ready .. steady .. NOW!" that I can take.

I'm not comparing it to what Trek turned in to, I'm comparing it to what
Trek was, originally.

When the first series came out it was innovative, smart, and daring -
compared to other SciFi of the time.  The fact that everyone and their
grandmother has tried to duplicate it and subsequently ruined the
genre is a different issue.

The original Star Trek defined a number of historical incidents in the
world of broadcast, in addition to being damn good TV.  The fact that
much of it looks cheesy compared to today effects doesn't change how
impressive it was when it was done.  The further fact that attempts to
continue the Star Trek legacy have gotten worse and worse over the years
is another story ... but I'm referring to the original.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies