[wplug] [OT] ooh ooh ...

Philip Reiche Philip.Reiche at pl.netl.doe.gov
Fri Aug 12 09:10:34 EDT 2005

I bought the DVD set on Steve's and your recommendation back in late
June, and I love it!  My wife loves it! She's a huge fan of Sci-Fi and
westerns and Firefly combines the two styles quite well. Best TV we've
seen in years. The pilot, shown for some inane reason at the end of the
series when it was broadcast, does a great job introducing the
characters and establishing the ongoing plotlines.

Minor spoiler:

One of my favorite scenes. Bad guys fought crew of Firefly and lost.
Baddest of the thugs makes one of those TV "you may have won this time
but I'll track you down if it's the last thing I do" vows. Hero kicks
him into the intake of an engine, ending threat. Nice ....

Jonathan Billings <jsbillings at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/11/05, Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:
> > New Serenity trailer is available ...
>
> I don't want to seem like a clueless dolt ... but what is Serenity?
> saw a trailer in the theatre and I still don't know what it's about,
> it was a bunch of action shots and weird-looking people.  I don't
have
> a capable browser on my workstation here, so, sadly, I'm unable to
> view the trailers.

Serenity is Firefly ...

Firefly is the Star Trek of recent history.  It ran for one season.  It
was
the best show on telivision during that time, but the WB canceled for
some
unexplanable reason (perhaps they aren't in favor of TV that's
actually
good)

Because the show was so good, after it got cancelled, they got a movie
deal,
which became Serenity.

(Historical show data: Serenity is the _name_ of the spaceship in the
show.
Firefly is the model of the spaceship.  Even more historical trivia:
Serenity
was the name of the deciding battle where the galactic civil war ended
I don't know if it was the planet Serenity, or the city Serenity on
some
planet.  Captain Mal named the ship after that battle.)

Anyway, anyone who knows me knows how much I bitched and whined when
Firefly was cancelled, so I've been jumping around like a drunken
idiot
with excitement every time more information about the movie is
released.

I need to purchase the Firefly DVD set, and have a DVD party before
the
movie comes out ...

--
Bill Moran