[wplug] wireless networking stability

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Wed Aug 10 11:03:57 EDT 2005

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Rick Reynolds wrote:

> Nathan Marcus wrote:
>
>> Perhaps you need to invest in this product
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5791782530 ... LOL
>> My goodness, people who buy this need help...
>>

> Wow, I'd never seen anything like that.  Crazy...
>
>> But on a serious troubleshooting idea, have you tried this on multiple
>> networks (ie hotspots) to eliminate at least one end of your
>> equipment?  I would try that in your position right now.
>>

> Yep, I've seen this behavior regardless of the access point I'm using.  I'm
> currently spending a week visiting my father and it is happening a lot.  It
> happens to me at home and at my brother's house routinely as well.
>
> I'll be checking what Rick Farina suggested as soon as I can.  I have done
> things like 'grep eth1 *' within /var/log hoping to see something in the
> other logs, but I haven't thoroughly checked both dmesg and kernel logs.

 	Did you crank-up your logging level? Edit your /etc/syslog.conf,
and find which ever line logs to your logfile, and change what's logged.
Mine looks like this:

*.*			/var/log/messages

which will log everything to /var/log/messages. Might want to tail -f
/var/log/messages, and see what pops up.

--

Drew from Zhrodague
drew at zhrodague.net
http://www.WiFiMaps.com