[wplug] BitTorrent

Cameron McBride cameron.mcbride at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 16:01:30 EDT 2005

Hey Brandon,

> Yeah, I know the arguments I need to use -- the problem is, where do I
> specify them?  The program gets called based on the email-attachment's
> MIME type, and I select it and btdownloadgui starts automatically.  What I
> would like to know is the right way to modify the behavior of a
> MIME-associated application in Debian.

well, it likely depends on your mail client.  I'm by no means an
expert (there might be a debian specific way I don't know about), but
mailcap has met my needs.  (% man mailcap)

I use mutt, and created a ~/.mailcap entry to handle certain mime
types.  Mine looks something like this:

___$HOME/.mailcap___
image/*; xv %s
text/html; w3m -T text/html %s
application/msword; antiword %s | less
___

This works fine for me.  I'm guessing that some of the GUI based email
clients don't adhere to this control system, but it's been too long
since I tinkered with them for me to remember. (I like my mutt).

HTH.

Cameron