[wplug] BitTorrent

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Fri Aug 5 22:22:37 EDT 2005

Apparently, all the hip youngsters these days are using BitTorrent to
distribute files.  However, I can't get it to work.  I never understood
MIME types, but apparently the [Debian] bittorrent package uses some sort
of mime-fu to get it to 'just work'.  Except it doesnt: the client
starts, and then it sits stagnantly on my desktop.

I suspect a firewall issue.  Because I am using the client on a machine
behind a NAT-masquerade firewall, I need to specify the port in the
firewall that the client should use (it is not the standard BitTorrent
port[s]).  But the client has no configuration.  The documentation
supplied with the package refers me to a web address for NAT/firewall
documentation, but the web address is (this is BRILLIANT!) hosted by
a Dynamic IP which is not receiving calls right now, for some reason (url:
http://knowbuddy.dyndns.org:81/torrent/btclientconfig.html#FWConfig )

I am running the client from within my email program: I receive a
.torrent file as an attachment and open it, and it launches btdownloadgui.
btdownloadgui does have a man page but I don't know how to pass arguments
to it because I don't call it directly -- the program is run based on
the .torrent file's MIME type.  Does that make sense?

How do I get around this?

-Brandon